Translate this page:   العربية   Deutsch   ελληνικά   title="Spanish"Español   فارسی   Français   Italiano   עברית   日本語   한국어   Nederlands   Polski   Portuguese   русский   украї́нська   Türkçe   中文

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Omnium defunctorum fidelium

I decided to arrive in Rome early, in advance of the CIEL colloquy. It was the feast of All Souls, and I was treated to a wonderful sung high Mass at San Gregorio dei Muratori. At last I heard the sequence in it's proper setting. The coolest things was a ten foot catafalque that was erected in the middle of the chapel. If you've been there, you know how small the place is and this completely dominated it. Black velvet with appliqué skulls, and at the very top a small sepulchre with skull and bones. Tall candles at the corners. After Mass the coped priest did an absolution and blessing of the 'body', going round with incense and holy water.

Alas, my camera died, so no pictures.

Comments [5]

Blogger Perpétua:

Sounds amazing Johannes! Thank you for sharing - I do wish that I was back in Rome. Our little community here is awfully lucky though, we got all that good stuff on a slightly smaller scale - but it was a Missa Solemnis, and Father T's sermon had us all shaking in our pews! :)

Mon Nov 07, 03:15:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Boeciana:

Um. PLEASE forgive the pedantry, but - you do realise that in the second sentence of that post you have grammatically identified yourself with All Souls?!!!

Sounds great, anyway.

Mon Nov 07, 10:59:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Juan:

Argh!!!

Thanks B. I'll amend it forthwith.

Mon Nov 07, 02:42:00 PM GMT  
Blogger ondeb:

Well I suppose this was a great example of liturgy... I wish I was in Rome :/

I was a little curious about that, asked my mother and she told me "yes, in the old rite the Mass of All Souls was celebrated with a catafalque..."

Hmmm... we'll try to avoid that only our parents will remember these things, in the future :)

In Christo

Onofrio

Tue Nov 08, 10:09:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Perpétua:

Oh, Johannes, I just realised, you were in the FSSP chapel, weren't you? Do you know who celebrated Mass? Father Kramer? Fr Fromageot? Oh, how I wish I was back there!

Tue Nov 08, 12:31:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home