Translate this page:   العربية   Deutsch   ελληνικά   title="Spanish"Español   فارسی   Français   Italiano   עברית   日本語   한국어   Nederlands   Polski   Portuguese   русский   украї́нська   Türkçe   中文

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

On the Tram

While I was on the tram this afternoon, a disembarking man - following the others filing off, gave me a tap on the shoulder, and with a morbid tone, dictated: "Excuse me... You're in the way!" I thought it was a horrid thing to say. It's not because I wasn't aware of taking up particularly much room, but I felt treated like a soul-less chair - to look someone coldly in the eye, and tell them that you wished that their presence did not exist? How can you do that? To anyone? Greetings, I detest you.

Anyway, something lighter courtesy of the Anglicans in Sydney - referring to next year's event as the 'World Roman Catholic Youth Day'.

As usual, lots of good things about. Father Ian Ker visiting the Institute and Library at present - nice to experience something of Oxford. I have papers to write again. It's good. O Crux, ave. Spes unica.

Comments [3]

Blogger Unknown:

interesting, treated as a soul-less chair. Not exactly a way to treat your fellow human being, or even a Lady, Is gallantry dead?

Well anyway in other news, I'm happy, I'm going to be there when Cardinal Pell says the Extra ordinary form at his throne at st Mary's cathedral. Anyone from Melbourne coming down?

Wed Sep 19, 12:24:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Liturgeist:

Keep saying over and over... 'I am not a chair.... I am not a chair... I am not a chair...'

Or just pray the Rosary for/at 'em...

Wed Sep 19, 07:34:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Lactantius:

To amuse and cheer you dear Perpetua I offer the following lines:

Mount, mount my soul, thy seat is up on high
- from Shakespeare's Richard III

Of courtesy, it is much less
Than fortitude or holiness,
Yet in my walks it seems to me
That God's grace is in Courtesy
- from "Courtesy" by Hilaire Belloc

Fri Sep 21, 06:20:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home