Translate this page:   العربية   Deutsch   ελληνικά   title="Spanish"Español   فارسی   Français   Italiano   עברית   日本語   한국어   Nederlands   Polski   Portuguese   русский   украї́нська   Türkçe   中文

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A rather serious quick question -

The 'dies irae' sequence et al are no longer said at requiem Masses, are they? Is there a difference between the 'rite of Christian funerals' that I have been reading on the internet and a post-conciliar requiem Mass? Are they the same thing? I'm a little confused.

Comments [5]

Blogger Boeciana:

As far as I know, sequences may still be said (in NO too) at All Souls, Corpus Christi, Whitsun and, um, Christmas, is it? So you'd think it could still be said at any Requiem. But this could be quite wrong; correct me, someone!

Tue Oct 18, 10:28:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Aristotle:

As far as I know, the Dies Irae and other sequences may be sung in the customary place according to the 1970 Missal. The Dies Irae hasn't been banned from the New Mass, just omitted from the ordo - sort of like how the deacon's precommunion Confiteor doesn't appear in the Order of Mass in the Liber Usualis 1962, but is still cantillated at Pontifical High Mass. I think.

Don't ask me to prooftext, though - I haven't got time for the pain. ;-)

Your best bet at having it sung, of course, is appealing to a sympathetic priest-celebrant. I have sung two Requiem Masses [ I | II ] according to the 1970 Missal, and both times the Dies Irae was chanted, along with the other propers and Mass XVIII.

Tue Oct 18, 12:54:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Aristotle:

I should add that the only two sequences mandated by the Church according to the 1970 books are the Easter Victimae paschali laudes and the Pentecost/Whitsun Veni Sancte Spiritus (not the hymn Veni Creator Spiritus). The Corpus Christi sequence Lauda Sion salvatorem (usually redacted to Ecce panis angelorum) and the Our Lady of Sorrows sequence Stabat mater dolorosa are both optional.

According to a commenter on this forum, the Dies Irae in the 1970 books apparently is moved to the ferial days after Christ the King (and before Advent I).

Tue Oct 18, 01:42:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Gratias amici! :)

Tue Oct 18, 10:42:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Boeciana:

Easter, oh yes, that's quite an important one...

Wed Oct 19, 12:28:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home