Translate this page:   العربية   Deutsch   ελληνικά   title="Spanish"Español   فارسی   Français   Italiano   עברית   日本語   한국어   Nederlands   Polski   Portuguese   русский   украї́нська   Türkçe   中文

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Tonight...

... there will be a solemn requiem for the repose of the soul of Walter Reid at Corpus Christi, Maiden Lane, which is near Covent Garden in London. Reid was one of those guys you never noticed, because he didn't say anything, ever, to anyone... but he was often present at the Monday evening Masses. Beyond that, I don't know much about him.

The 'Capella Ave Maris Stella' will be singing Victoria's Requiem again. It's a favourite of mine, and we pulled it off well on Sunday last for the Remembrance Sunday Requiem at St. Bede's. The Corpus Christi schola will be filling in all the chanty bits that Victoria didn't set. Various people have spent the last week trying to a) construct a catafalque out of random things; b) get their hands on six unbleached candles; and c) somehow borrow a funeral pall. Quick vote of thanks to the fathers of the London Oratory for their kindness as regards the latter two.

The next special Sunday at St. Bede's will be Gaudete Sunday, 17th December. At least, that's what I hope. I suspect we'll be singing more Victoria.

Someday I'm going to have to start up the cause for his canonisation. After all, there are only two patron saints of musicians so far...

Comments [3]

Anonymous Anonymous:

Isn't it glorious? We had Victoria here, too. Our choir did it so well - I wish I could be there to here you. The Offetory is my favourite.

Have you tried an ironing board? :)

Fri Nov 17, 11:20:00 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Goodness me, long week. Hear you, of course. Or for you all to be here, to hear you...

Fri Nov 17, 11:21:00 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous:

That Special Sunday at St Bede's with Ms Julie Robinson organising the choir was quite simply AWESOME. It really was just absolutely brilliant. I went with my parents and we all loved it very much. Confession during Mass too no less which I'm really not very used to seeing - gosh it was great!

Fri Nov 17, 09:36:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home