Translate this page:   العربية   Deutsch   ελληνικά   title="Spanish"Español   فارسی   Français   Italiano   עברית   日本語   한국어   Nederlands   Polski   Portuguese   русский   украї́нська   Türkçe   中文

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Happy Feast!

Yesterday was the 13th anniversary of my baptism. Today is the Feast of Our dear Mother, Our Lady Help of Christians, Patroness of Australia, and of Juventutem 2008. It is the 24th here!
We had 7am Mass this morning, amidst morning rays shining through the windows on a chilly Autumn day. Exposition followed simply, with a beautiful chanting of the Litany of Loreto.
And here, my dear ones, is one of the wonderful things about the Latin language. Your finger can write exhortations in one of the Jewish heartlands of Melbourne on dewy tram shelter windows. 'Auxilium Christianorum, ora pro nobis!' The unsuspecting pagan has no clue as he sounds the words out. I hope they last all the morning. Sneaky, but satisfying.
Please do pray for Australia, it is quite a struggle.
On a side note, as per usual, 'Exaudivit de templo sancto suo vocem meam, alleluia: et clamor meus in conspectu ejus, introivit in aures ejus, alleluia, alleluia!' Vere!
I am going to miss singing the Vidi Aquam - I have finally, sort of, worked it out.
The Liturgy Planning images website features dogs?
------
Hitherto their conversation had been on the verge of jest and earnest; now it took a more pensive tone.

"The nuns of St. Theresa are very strict, I believe, Mr. White," said Miss Bolton.
"Yes," he made reply; "I have fears for the Mrs. Wardens and Mrs. Principals who at their age undertake it."
They had got home, and White politely rang the bell.
"Younger persons," said he tenderly, "are too delicate for such a sacrifice."
Louisa was silent; presently she said, "And what will you be, Mr. White?"
"I know not," he answered; "I have thought of the Cistercians; they never speak".
"Oh, the dear Cistercians!" she said; "St. Bernard wasn't it?—sweet, heavenly man, and so young! I have seen his picture: such eyes!"
White was a good-looking man. The nun and the monk looked at each other very respectfully, and bowed; the other pair went through a similar ceremony; then it was performed diagonally. The two ladies entered their home; the two gentlemen retired.

JHN - Loss and Gain - which I am enjoying very much - when I should be writing papers...

Comments [2]

Anonymous Anonymous:

That thought did come to my mind quite right away!

Thank you, and God bless you! You are in my prayers.

Wed May 24, 03:32:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Lactantius:

May I add that dogs could be an allusion to "Yea, dogs are round about me" (Ps 22:16), "Do not give dogs what is holy" (Mt 7:6), "Moreover the dogs came and licked his [Lazarus']sores" (Lk 16:21) or " Look out for the dogs, look out for the evil-workers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh." (Phil 3:2)

Dogs also feature in the lives of the saints, notably St. Dominic, whose mother dreamt of a dog bearing a torch, which it used to set the world aflame. Ever since people have referred to the Dominicans as Domini canes.

Finally a dog anecdote which I am quite fond of because my grandmother was the first to tell me. In the life of St John Bosco, it is narrated that on several occasions attempts were made on his life but all of them were foiled by a mysterious grey canine, who would appear out of the shadows and no sooner did his attackers take flight, returned to whence it came. The saint did not know who owned the dog but some claim it might have been an angel in disguise.

Wed May 24, 06:48:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home