Translate this page:   العربية   Deutsch   ελληνικά   title="Spanish"Español   فارسی   Français   Italiano   עברית   日本語   한국어   Nederlands   Polski   Portuguese   русский   украї́нська   Türkçe   中文

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Fruit of Yesterday's Class

Yesterday I learnt that in 1886 a new Anglican bishop was appointed for Melbourne. His name was F.F. Goe. Mr Goe's father was an atheist, and refused to give his son a Christian name. So, for a time, Melbourne's Anglicans were under the care of the right reverend Field Flowers Goe. Hooray for popery!

Comments [2]

Blogger Lactantius:

Let me guess. Was this an anecdote of a certain Oblate, first name Austin (not Augustine), who happens to teach Church History? If so, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

I wonder what he was referred to as a boy and how he signed his name. Given that he lived in the 19th century he probably was known as Master Goe or the son of that "faithless fool".

As you say "Hooray for Popery", in all its many splendid vestements, eastern and western.

PS Just been informed of your domestic situation. Congrats, thou art God's little vagabond once more.

PPS Left a message on your mobile re this evening's Mass but was unsure if you would check it, so I called Antioch and left a message there as well for the good Fathers.

Thu May 25, 04:07:00 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Indeed, you know my magister!

I do hope that you are serving tonight - I'm sure you are. I can't check messages just now - my phone needs to be baptised, and on that, I need to get back to this paper...

I mightn't be a vagrant just yet, but we will see!

Thu May 25, 04:59:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home