Translate this page:   العربية   Deutsch   ελληνικά   title="Spanish"Español   فارسی   Français   Italiano   עברית   日本語   한국어   Nederlands   Polski   Portuguese   русский   украї́нська   Türkçe   中文

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Papa Latine loquitur!

As reported by kath.net. Don't worry if you don't read Deutsch; it gets on to Latin soon enough!

Not that I'd have understood that address if he'd said it remotely quickly. Fancy classical word order... I'm more at twelfth-century schoolboy standard, myself.

Quid es?
Sum puer.
Quid bibes?
Bibeo cervisium...

Or however that wee dialogue goes. I can't remember what I'm remembering, so if anyone is aware of a C12 textbook dialogue beginning with boys drinking ale, do say so. Hang on, I think someone called Aelfric is involved. And Google confirms this. Still can't remember the text, though. And is it bibeo, bibere, or bibo, bibere, anyhow?

Anyway, perhaps more relevantly: In case anyone doesn't read Pontifications, these two posts may be of interest. Ecce etiam commentarius Aristoteli nostri.

Finally, I must add to the chorus of praise for Amata Means Beloved. Delightful wee novel.

Oh, and finally finally - despite my infancy in the Faith I've been asked to stand sponsor to someone, so if you could pray for the confirmand and myself I'd be most grateful.

Pax et bonum omnibus! I hope Advent is a fruitful time for us all. Hora est jam nos de somno surgere... Benedicat nos Deus Omnipotens, miserator et misericors Dominus, patiens et multum misericors.

Comments [2]

Anonymous Anonymous:

Thank you, most kindly! I just conferred with my text, and it is bibo, bibere - hooray for accent marks :)

What wonderful news about your role as Sponsor - I assure you of prayers :)

I really have to continue my Latin study over this coming Summer break!

Wed Nov 30, 12:13:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Boeciana:

Bibis and Bibo cervisium, then... Even though I don't. And am not a puer, obviously...

Wed Nov 30, 10:18:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home