Translate this page:   العربية   Deutsch   ελληνικά   title="Spanish"Español   فارسی   Français   Italiano   עברית   日本語   한국어   Nederlands   Polski   Portuguese   русский   украї́нська   Türkçe   中文

Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Birthday and a Bishop

Today was Omar's birthday. It involved thurible swinging, lots of cake, and serving for a Bishop.

Lighting candles while Omar was busy training up a junior server!

Sacristans! The wonderful D. Birch and Omar.

Snap outside the church. Good weather for photos.

Later in the afternoon Monash University Catholics on Campus had their end of semester Mass, with Bishop Christopher Prowse presiding. Omar served the Mass, which was quite sweet because Bishop Prowse confirmed him back on Laetare, and he wore the mitre that we gave him. He gave blessings after the Mass. He had just come from Confirmations, and I could still smell the aroma of chrism on his thumb!

Bishop Prowse chatting after Mass.

There is something very special about Bishop Prowse. However, whenever I'm in the midst of a Bishop, it is very tense. It's more than the great reality of being in the presence of a Successor of the Apostles, or the fact that I find it rather difficult to be in a conversation. Oh well, I don't know what it is. It's much easier praying for them.

Lex videndi, lex orandi. I hope that says 'the law of sight (seeing) is the law of prayer (praying)' - I mean reverence would be harder to foster in a barn rather than a Cathedral - but then again, I don't think that is true. I'm being cryptic in saying that I don't like the chances of improving the quality of the liturgy much at the Monash religious centre while it is in there. The students are wonderful, though, and there is no reason to give up on trying.

Comments [1]

Anonymous Anonymous:

I bumped into a bish bosh as well today. I wasn't quite as edified as you were though, I wrote more [diplomatically] on my blog.

Mon Oct 16, 11:27:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home